Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 2, 2010

Today I got to work on the wiki. I have to say that it looks really good. Everyone made it a great resource. I want to go back and check out some of the links when I get a chance. This was my first time with a wiki. It was an interesting experience. It was difficult to make changes to what others had written. I didn't want to change their line of thinking or insert other ideas. It was a very different experience than traditional editing because with pen and paper editing, the original words and thoughts are still there and the writer is able to decide if what the editor changes is better or more appropriate. With the wiki, however, when I edit, the original words are replaced. I didn't like that part of it. Also, as an editor, I like to reread more than once what the writer wrote, as well as what I have changed to be sure my edits are what we actually want. I wish there was a way to use editing marks first before making the final changes. (Perhaps there is and I don't know it yet.) I don't know if I'd use a wiki in my classroom. I have found a lot of technologies that I am excited to work on and become more proficient in, but I don't think a wiki is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment